Friday, January 8, 2010

STROGANOFF MELTS

I recently found this recipe online but unfortunately I can't remember where. I did tweak it a little to better suit our tastes. My kids LOVE these - as do my friend's kids who have had a chance to try them! - and they are so easy to make.

STROGANOFF MELTS

1 pound ground beef
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced (optional)
Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup beef stock
1 teaspoon thyme
2 ounces cream cheese
6 English muffins
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Cooking Day: In a large skillet, brown ground beef, onion and optional mushrooms. Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add thyme (I only used about 1/2 of a teaspoon, instead of the whole teaspoon called for because thyme has a very strong flavor). Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in beef broth. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Let cool and stir in 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Freeze in Ziplock bag. Freeze remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese in separate bag, stapled to bag with meat mixture. Freeze English muffins.

Serving Day: Thaw meat mixture, cheese and English muffins. Warm meat slightly. Split English muffins and place on a baking sheet. Cover each half with some of the meat mixture and top with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until English muffins are toasty and cheese is melted, about 8 to 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment